Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Naked Child

Well, this is officially my first blog. I know what I am going to talk about because it made my whole day. Emily, my two year old daughter, has recently been working on potty training. Since we are having our second child in January, we are really letting her do this at her own pace and not push her. A few months ago, she decided that she did not need naps anymore, (actually I decided this because she would be cranky the rest of the night and not get to sleep until really late.) Anyway, you may wonder what these two things have to do with each other until today happened. My daughter does go in her room for an hour of "rest" time. She usually plays in her bed with her babies or looks at her books. This morning, she told me that she was not wearing pull-ups anymore but she was going to wear big-girl panties. I tried to get the pull-up on her, but she really did not want it on. Since we are at home all day, I decided not to fight this battle and just let her wear her big-girl panties. She did pretty good and went to the potty most of the day. Then, "rest" time came. I told her that she needed to wear a pull-up and after "rest" time, she could wear big-girl panties again. She was okay with this arrangement. However, after her hour was up, I went in to get her and she was naked. She had taken her pull-up off and was playing with nothing on. I asked her if she went potty somewhere and she told me in her pull-up. I checked but her pull-up was dry. She did not go potty anywhere else either, so I put her big-girl panties back on and decided not to make a big deal about it. I thought this was so funny because I thought she understood the situation perfectly, but obviously she was not happy about the option. She teaches me all the time that just when I think I have control over a situation, I lose it. I guess that is a life lesson we all need to be reminded of.

No comments: