Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gotta Love Hanging Out With Youth Guys

Today I got to spend most of my time just learning from and hanging out with other youth pastors. We are very fortunate in Oklahoma to have something called OKYMA that exists to give youth ministers the opportunity to network with each other, to sharpen their skills, and to fellowship with their fellow laborers in youth ministry. It is so nice to spend time once in awhile with other people who understand what you are going through and just get you. Times like these remind me that I'm not alone in this journey called youth ministry. If nothing else, I also got to be out of the office for most of the day and that is a very good thing.

It was also a great day because I got to re-connect with a youth pastor and his wife that I met while serving in New Mexico. It was great to see them again and find out that they are now serving in OK. I look forward to continuing our friendship and ministry together. Not only did we get to spend time goofing off at Incredible Pizza, but we also were challenged to take care of ourselves as ministers. To surround ourselves with people that share our passion and help us grow spiritually. What I valued the most today apart from getting to meet new youth pastors was the insight into youth ministry from a husband and wife who have been serving in a local church for many years. Even though I have been a full-time youth pastor for almost five years, I am reminded all of the time how much I don't know and need to work on. Too many ministers are either leaving full-time ministry or just plain burned out. From day one I committed to this to the end. I don't want to be another statistic of a guy who used to be in the ministry. So, I keep pressing on. Growing, learning, and serving each and every day. Talk about one fun, exciting, uneasy adventure!

No comments: