Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Heroes

Last night was the premier of the second season of Heroes. Theresa and I really enjoyed watching this show last season and are looking forward to what's in store the second time around. This is one of two shows that our church secretary and I discuss on a frequent basis. (We also talk about Survivor.) Almost every Tuesday of season one she or I would bring up the previous night's show. Her whole family watches Heroes and we discuss plots and try to answer questions we have about what will happen next. Basically it helps liven things up around the office.

While I really like the show, I think I like even more the concept of heroes. On the show, ordinary people have special gifts and abilities that in the real world don't exist. I do think that real heroes, however, do exist. For the most part they are just like you and me and anybody can be a hero. I have many heroes of the Bible that I love to read about and look forward to spending eternity with them one day. I also have many heroes in my family, church family, and my friends. America has had countless heroes that have fought in numerous wars, served during times like 9/11, and in many ways that never catches the attention of the public. One of my wife's heroes is her grandmother and we found out yesterday that she has Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. This is the one person that Theresa wanted at our wedding more than any other relative or friend. I often hear stories about Grandma Nettles and it makes me proud to be in her family. Please remember her and Theresa in your prayers. We cannot be with Grandma Nettles this Thanksgiving because of travel restrictions during Theresa's pregnancy, so Theresa is really hoping to she her early next year. We are not guaranteed she will live that long and this is really hard for Theresa. We are both thankful for real heroes that make a difference in our lives.

No comments: