Monday, December 31, 2007

Before 2007 Ends

The start of a new year can bring excitement, hope, and a sense of something new. As we transition into 2008 with a clean slate before us, many of us spend time reflecting on the past twelve months. For all of us there are many good and bad memories from 2007 that will shape our goals and dreams for our future. It seems that we have within us as humans the motivation and drive to enhance the quality of our lives whenever possible. Nobody dreams of having a year of failure, stress, and chaos. We want instead to picture 2008 as the year we finally accomplish the various goals we have set.

I have
recently heard and read that one problem Americans are facing is the pace of our lives. It seems that every person these days is stressed out and too busy to even relax. Despite the fact that we currently have more resources than ever before at our finger tips and numerous devices and plans to increase the quality of our lives, we are running a faster pace than ever before. I could literally spend hours each day reading, studying, and listening to resources on youth ministry. The same is true in the areas of parenting, financial peace, spiritual formation, etc. At times I can become overwhelmed with all of the options we are presented with each and every day. While all of these resources and helpful information are good in and of themselves, they can lead to clutter, busyness, and stress. My fear is that our enemy is using so many of these “good things” to increase the pace of our lives and make us lose focus on what really matters. When my life becomes too cluttered, my relationship with God tends to suffer. As this year begins I personally want to do what I can to simplify my life so that I may be a better follower of Christ. I do not know everything that will happen this next year in my life and for the student ministry of Union Hill. I do know that if we will keep Christ the focus of all that we do this year, we can reach the goals and dreams He has set for us. May Jesus Christ be the focus of our lives in 2008.

No comments: