Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Staff Christmas Party

Tonight we had our annual Staff Christmas Party. This is one of several parties my family and I attend during the Christmas season. Some parties I'm expected to attend, so parties I can attend, and other parties I have to put on myself. I actually enjoy most of the Christmas parties I get to be at during the month of December because they are usually relaxed in nature, contain good food, and being with family/friends. What I find ironic is the feeling everyone has toward Christmas parties. Every year it seems that we try to out-wit others by having their party early or by simply having a set date every year. My extended family on my mom's side begins the "when do we meet" debate around Thanksgiving. We have finally begun to just set the date and realize that some may have to work or are simply not available on that date. Today as I was getting some supplies from Wal-Mart for our finger food dish, I ran into a deacon and his wife. When I told them where I was going, they said "aren't you tired of parties?" I wanted to say, well, not really. By the look on their faces and the tone in their voices, I knew not to even suggest my true feelings. I have found myself asking others if they were stressed out due to holiday stuff, but I am really trying not to say that anymore. The reason, we live in a world that is constantly stressed out! Our pace is greater than ever before and there never seems to be an end to the madness. The reality is Christmas does add different stress (in the form of parties, gift giving/receiving, decorating, etc.) than we experience the rest of the year, but we all seem stressed out. Maybe you have found a secret to living a more simple life that the rest of us need to learn.

No comments: