Friday, December 14, 2007

Do I Make God Laugh?

Last night, we took Emily to see Santa Claus and possibly get some pictures taken. Both of us knew that actually getting Emily to take a picture had a one in a million chance. For whatever reason, she is in a phase where she just doesn't want to take pictures. It doesn't matter if they are family pictures, mommy & Emily pictures, daddy & Emily pictures, just Emily pictures, you get the idea. Then you add the fact that she is still not sure about Santa Claus in general and that just makes this worse. So instead of taking pictures, we just talked to Santa Claus since nobody else was in line at the time. (Just a side note. I recently read an article and the author asked the question why do we take our children to a strange place, shove them onto the lap of a stranger dressed in weird clothes, and say smile.) Maybe next year she will be ready for pictures with Santa again.

After visiting Santa at the mall, we made our way to mom and dad's house to drop of Emily for the weekend. Theresa had planned this "work weekend" several weeks ago so that we could get some things done around the house before baby arrives. She is having a great time and we have already gotten quite a bit accomplished. There is still a long list waiting for us tomorrow that I'm sure will keep us both very busy.

All of that to give you a little bit of background of our weekend plans. Today as we were going over some plans for decorating the house, setting up the nursery for Callie, and other miscellaneous tasks, God threw a wrench in our well-thought out plans. Even though we know that in all reality Callie can come at any time between now and January 7th, our other plans seem pretty much set in stone. That is when God steps in to quietly remind us that He is in control. Even though we think we have good plans, He has the best plans for our lives. I have often heard that if you want to make God laugh just show Him your plans. I can't tell you exactly how our plans are being messed up because we are still praying about His leading and are trying to not get ahead of Him. At one point tonight I did have to just laugh to myself as I pictured God saying "don't worry, I've got it all under control." While it is scary and uncertain waiting for God to reveal His plans, there is no other place that I would rather be than in His will. Hopefully I will be able to write more about what is going on with my family in the next few days. Until then, I am happy knowing I might be making God laugh.

No comments: