Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The "M" Word

Since Theresa and Callie are still trying to stay inside as much as possible and are avoiding crowds, I got to take Emily to church by myself tonight. When we were leaving she started talking about me being a big boy and her being a little girl. That meant that I could do some things that she couldn't do yet. Later on down the rode she says that someday she will grow up and get married. I told her that I want her to grow up but it makes me sad to think of her getting married. Then she said that I could marry her. At this point several thoughts and emotions raced through my mind. First of all, I can't believe how "grown up" she sounds when she talks. For the most part I can have a fairly lengthy conversation with her. Second, I love how innocent she still is in thinking that she will marry her daddy. Also, it hit me that since I'm an ordained minister I will probably have a part in both my daughters weddings beyond the normal "giving them away."

As I have sat through two funerals in the last six days, I have thought several times about having family members die and the possibility of having to perform their funerals. While I am always honored to perform weddings and funerals, doing that for your family is just something you don't really think about when you start in youth ministry. Being a youth pastor is about seeing students' lives changed because of Jesus Christ. It is about living life with them on an everyday basis and also during special events. Don't get me wrong, it's far from always being a lot of fun. There are many hard times, many ups and downs in the youth ministry world. Still, I guess until recently I hadn't really thought my role in the weddings/funerals of my family and friends.

Ok, I can't end this post which such a negative tone. Youth group tonight was really good. We had over 40 students come, several parents help out, and God did His thing as usual. I am still amazed when he takes my limited gifts and talents and turns them into something that brings about change in the lives of my students. I really can't think of anything negative about tonight and that is pretty rare. From our opening game, to our worship time, to our Bible study, God just took over. Thank you Father for calling me into the fun, crazy, and exciting world of youth ministry!

No comments: