Thursday, January 3, 2008

BOOMER SOONER!!!

No, I'm not crazy and yes I did watch OU get beat last night in the Fiesta Bowl. It was a tough game to watch considering last year's overtime loss in the Fiesta Bowl to Boise St. I'm know sure which was worse, losing on one play or getting beat by 20 points. Through it all, I will always remain a Sooner fan even though it is sure nice when we win. There are times when I wonder why I put myself through the emotional roller coaster of rooting for a college football team to win every game so they have a spot in the national title game only to have them come short of several occasions. Honestly, it would be easier if I just give up on watching college football or if I didn't have a favorite team. Then I ask myself where would the fun be in either of those options? I absolutely love watching college football and I love watching OU play. For one, college football is a passion that I share with Theresa and that is nice. As for OU, I was pretty much born a Sooner fan and I'll die a Sooner fan.

If I am going to keep watching and hoping that OU will again win a National Championship, what do I do when we lose? I remind myself that it is only a game and there will always be another chance later. Another thing I really try hard to do is not let it consume my life and my emotions. If I never got to watch another OU or college game again I'd be just fine. I do not find my purpose in anything here on this earth including sports. Sports are fun to watch but they are not more important than time spent with my family or with my Creator. I do believe that it is better to root for a team and have fun cheering them on than to just give up altogether. At least I have had fun even if my team doesn't win.

Even though I will hear about this lose for a long time, it's in the past and there is always next season. We have a great young quarterback in Sam Bradford and many returning starters. Maybe next year will be our year to win a National Championship. (This year I'm hoping LSU wins because that is my wife's favorite team.) If we still don't win at the very least it will be fun to watch!

No comments: