Monday, November 10, 2008

Using Technology Part 2

As I mentioned in my last post, we have been going through a series at church about controlling our TVs/the Internet. This past Sunday the sermon was focused on the dark side of the Internet. It is pretty scary to think of how evil and corrupt the Internet really can be. I dread to think of what it will be like when my girls are older.

One thing I did point out is the fact that we can use the Internet for our good. From paying bills online to save time and money, to connecting with old and new friends the Internet can be good. My pastor compared the Internet to fire and I really like this analogy. When fire is controlled it is extremely useful. When fire is allowed to run free without restraint, then watch out! If we will put measures in our life to control the Internet, then we can use it to enhance our lives. Take a blog like this for instance. I love reading friends' blogs to keep up with their lives. For family and friends that we cannot see on a regular basis, we can keep them updated on our family and even share recent photos. I also enjoy getting on Facebook to view photos, videos, and short posts from friends, family, and church members. On the flip side of this, of course, is the temptation to become wrapped up in blogging and social networking. I have to watch myself so that I don't waste time online when I could be doing something more productive. Again, technology is great when we use it for good and don't abuse it or let it take control of our lives.

2 comments:

thePiks said...

I really want to get started on Facebook, but I'm already needing to cut back on my internet time! Maybe I'll find a way, just set some limits for myself.

Anonymous said...

Good reminder Theresa - thanks sheree